Cliternia was the name of the old Italian settlement which was located near Campomarino. Village of Frentani, then Roman, is located near Saccione Torrent. It was destroyed by Goths in 495 a. C. and it was then reconstructed near hinterland. But in 947 a. C., also Nuova Cliternia suffered the same fate, this time by the Hungarians. Subsequently it was founded Cliterniano that, suffering the damage of the plague, in 1125 it was definitely razed to the ground by the great earthquake of Benevento, in which almost all the inhabitants died.
But where was exactly Cliternia dei Frentani? There are no precise historical sources. In addition, during the time, the coastal area has undergone a gradual and inexorable flooding, and if there was a maritime Cliternia, at this time it would be far from the sea. Historical sources are vague to identify the site with precision.
Numerous traces of the Roman period are still visible in rural landscape of Campomarino. Although the exact location can not be decided, at least one thing is certain: almost all researchers and ancient sources confirm that Cliternia was, located in an area between Fortore River and Biferno River and between Larino and the Adriatic Sea, possibly much more near Saccione Torrent and the sea.
Both Plinio and Pomponio Mela mention the ancient Cliternia, which for them was located in Cliternia near Biferno and Larino in the territory of Daunia. Certainly the area was crossed by the Tratturo L’Aquila-Foggia, already used for centuries by shepherds transhumance. This hypothesis is supported by sporadic archaeological finds. In Difensola, it was discovered a prehistoric hamlet dating back to the Bronze Age, identified as the ancient village of Cliternia. Now it is studied by the archaeological superintendence of Campobasso.